we called them safari chairs but i think they are also known as butterfly chairs. these belonged to my parents in the 60s and i have had them for many years. they have always had covers that every few years have needed replacing. you can't go and buy a standard size because that they are not so we always had them made.
for the past few years they have sat coverless in the garden, patiently waiting. michael has always been very keen for new covers so i decided this would be his christmas present, and, i decided to make them and to use what i had. what was my sturdiest fabric? - french canvas that i had a big bagful of and rolls of burlap/hessian strapping tape that i had found on the side of the road. i backed them with coffee sacks (i am never without a ready supply of those!) the only thing i had to fork out for was the heavy upholstery thread and i needed a lot of it as i double stitched every seam, topstitched and went around the binding 3 times. my sewing machine handled the bulk but my poor serger/overlocker has to go in for a service - working okay but making some very nasty noises!
i only managed to finish one before the big day so i finally got my act together and finished the rest of his gift.
they are very very comfortable and we can now sit back in comfort and wait for these babies to ripen!